Friday, May 27, 2011

Building Heat

Just in case I hadn't whined enough about the weather here - I wanted to take this opportunity to complain that on Saturday May 28th we are apparently going to have a high of 39 degrees with rain/snow. Blech. I hate winter weather... especially when it's practically summer! It's getting sooo old.

I guess I'll be hiding in my house with hot tea for a little while longer. I'll be meditating and trying to do a little restorative yoga over the weekend. Adam is on a baking kick, so there will also be plenty of pie to keep us warm.


Yoga Tip: Long holds of headstands build heat. By long holds I mean around 5 minutes or more. Depending on your level of practice. You can save time by doing a long headstand instead of 6 sun salutations near the beginning of a practice.

Other benefits of Salamba Sirsasana (Supported Headstand) via Yoga Journal:
  • Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression

  • Stimulates the pituitary and pineal glands

  • Strengthens the arms, legs, and spine 

  • Strengthens the lungs

  • Tones the abdominal organs

  • Improves digestion

  • Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause

  • Therapeutic for asthma, infertility, insomnia, and sinusitis
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment