Thursday, February 17, 2011

Let Them Eat Love

Almost a solid year ago I wrote about feeding your demons, or rather - I suggested that when your inner demons or grudges pop up and get in your face - to starve them. Read the post for more info on the full idea going on there. In re-reading that old post, I think to myself "That's still good advice. There's nothing wrong with it". However, there are many ways to skin a cat. (What an ugly term for an animal lover like myself - but it works.)

My ideas and coping methods have changed, but I'm in no way saying that one way is better than the other. Just different. Perhaps my feelings towards certain events have simply stopped being too heavy for me to look at them with Eagle Vision*. 

For months now I've been meaning to write a post here to discuss my newer viewpoint. When a wound isn't fresh it can work really well. When your inner demons demand attention... or just start sharpening their claws on your leg like a persistent cat...

♥ ♥ Feed Them Love. ♥ ♥

Now before you go thinking I'm some kind of nutter - read the rest of the post. Then feel free to comment on my insanity, ridiculosity, or crunchy granola outlook. When I suggest feeding them love - I don't mean wear an impenetrable smile on your face and turn the other cheek to unending abuses. Don't do that - that's an act of self-sabotage or denial.

When my inner demons rear their ugly heads - I pull a page from my favorite bears and I give a Care Bear Stare. You can even do it standing in line at the bank. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and bring to mind the name or situation that is causing you grief. If you're more visual - you can imagine them in front of you. Then consciously send them love. You can use words ("All my love to fill in the blank"), you can visualize a stream of swirling hearts flowing from your heart to theirs, or you can visualize hugging them. Maybe even do all three consecutively. If you're feeling adventurous, try to smile while you do it.

It sounds really floaty, but I swear it works. Eventually your heart space around these poisonous topics/people will have softened and you will have truly made peace with them.



*Eagle Vision: Backing off and allowing yourself to see the Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment